Searching for a scanner that's plug and play.

Best I've found so far is the Canon LiDE25 (this is a stand alone
flatbed scanner).

Found various info that seems to indicate Canon and HP are the best
bets at the moment. While the Ubuntu hardware guide does have a
reasonable set of options, I can't find any that are currently
available.

Emphasis here on the "just works". Relatively cheap would be good too :-)

Size/brand/quality/etc. are not relevant.

I'm really hoping you know of something that will fit the bill as
buying a bucket of WiFi adapters was one thing, but I don't have the
space to start a scanner collection :-)

Thanks,

Ben