Ben,

> Searching for a scanner that's plug and play.
>
> Best I've found so far is the Canon LiDE25 (this is a stand alone
> flatbed scanner).
>
> Found various info that seems to indicate Canon and HP are the best
> bets at the moment. While the Ubuntu hardware guide does have a
> reasonable set of options, I can't find any that are currently
> available.
>
> Emphasis here on the "just works". Relatively cheap would be good too :-)
>
> Size/brand/quality/etc. are not relevant.

I just purchased an Epson Perfection V350 Photo this week.  Epson site
points to the AVASYS site for Linux drivers.  I use Mandriva, an RPM was
there and the unit just worked after RPM install.  Epson seems to have
better support than most through the AVASYS site.

The SANE site is well out of date for most scanner drivers.

Rick Phillips
--
"The manual said Windows 98 or better so I installed Linux"

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
        -- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"

Suncoast Technical
Ph 040 888 53 57
http://www.suntech.net.au