R.G.Salisbury wrote:

Hi All

I don't know of  any adsl2 modems that just work in linux.

It sounds like your trying to bridge the modem to have the host behind be the www interface.

I used to do that with ADSL 1 as well, but since moving to 2, I just let the modem(/router **) do the negotiation work and set up port forwarding rules for those things I want to go straight to the linux server host behind it.

You can even set up the modem to forward simply everything to the host behind if you still want to use that as a router. Only thing I guess you lose there is the ability to mangle/hide your internal IP from the call that goes to the outside. Of course if you are doing that, you are effectively introducing an 'interim' subnet and can at least mangle to the interim subnet's address, thereby still protecting your internal addresses.

But by still having iptables running on the box behind AND enabling the firewall in the modem, you gain an albeit minimal additional security layer. Obviously, it's not going to stop anyone who REALLY wants to get in, but it just adds that little extra layer of complexity.

** It seems pretty much every ADSL2 modem is also a router these days and thus has an ethernet port. Of course, that also means you need another power outlet as opposed to powering over USB like the Alcatel stingray did.