"Brian Sydney Jathanna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Wellllllll........
> I don't know what makes you flame so hard with a simple suggestion of
> mine.

I am not, by the traditional meaning of the term, "flaming" you here,
though I will grant you that I am not working hard to be being
especially nice about it.

Because this /is/ important, let me explain why:

> I've tested PortKnock, I like it and I feel comfortable with it.

Great.  The problem is that while you like it, and feel comfortable with
it, you don't really /understand/ it, especially not in the bigger
picture of security, do you?

Port Knocking is complicated, but it isn't any more secure than a wide
range of alternatives, including the CGI option I mentioned -- in my
opinion.

One of the consistent lessons in security is that complexity is an
invitation to failure -- you are more secure with the simplest solution
that works, and adding complexity often *reduces* the protection you get.

On the other hand, the reason that I asked you to define how it was more
secure, or to detail how it protected from threats, was to give you a
chance to prove my assumptions wrong.

Perhaps you /had/ thought about and understood the wider security
picture, or perhaps you could cite something other than personal feeling
as a basis for believing that Port Knocking was a secure option.

What you are advocating is that someone else *feel* secure without
*being* secure.

This is like advising them to put a magic crystal on their dashboard and
forget about seatbelts -- it works just fine, until it actually matters,
at which point it turns out to have added no value at all.

> Since Phill had asked an open question for alternative approaches to
> secure his network, I made a simple suggestion.

Yup.

> I don't know why you take it so personally to prove your point better
> than mine and start an all out war with it, or is it the technical
> supremacy ego that kicks in at times...

This isn't about winning -- I have nothing to gain from beating you,
personally, or being more "right" here.

If this was just a "matter of opinion" question, like the best
distribution, or which text editor to use, and we disagreed like this I
would shrug and accept that -- each person is different and all that.

> Mate, we all don't know everything, but we're here to learn and share
> with others...  I'm sure you have more knowledge and experience than
> me and I respect you for that. And I'm sure your CGI script or some
> other approach would do the trick just fine, but what I learnt along
> the way I thought of sharing in this space.... am I wrong for it, you
> be the judge.

I hope that the explanation above helps explain why I am reluctant to
let this go -- why I have been asking you to explain why you are
correct, even if I don't believe you.

Finally, a large part of the problem is not my views -- I know that
I have done enough in the security area to keep my systems secure, and
to tell the difference between snake oil and security, most of the time.

What I worry about are the people out there who don't have that
experience, but see you advocating something that will leave them at
risk -- and follow through, then end up burned by it.

To me, this is like airport security: I am all in favour of securing air
travel.  I am not in favour of doing things that make people *feel*
secure without actually doing a damn thing.

Regards,
        Daniel