Mary Gardiner wrote:

There is one potential disadvantage of non-standard ports: there are a
few networks with a default-deny outgoing connection policy who open
port 22, but do not open most ports. (I find 443 the most useful
alternative port to run SSH on, outgoing to 443/HTTPS is very often
open!)

OK, raise their hand everyone here who runs an SSH server somewhere out on the net on port 443 for the deliberate purpose of tunneling through a work-related proxy server / firewall combination to do non-proxy-allowed stuff.

(/me sheepishly raises hand)

(/me points at *everyone* at a certain large organisation that will remain nameless)

:)

Del