Theoretically, I believe the IP thing vs domain thing has been solved now.

If we are willing to put aside the evilness of filtering for a second
and limit the issue to the technical implementation, I know there are
some implementations that use a two-phase filter to deal with IP
issues (I think this might include China's)

They take the list of block domains, and resolve a set of IPs for
them. These IPs are then hijacked via some BGP trickery (although
someone more clueful on that aspect would need to describe how) to the
filtering servers.

These filtering servers, although they receive request/response for
all of the hosts that map to the IPs, only do the actual filtering on
the basis of domain or URL subpaths.

In other words..

If you aren't on a red IP, you never go through filtering at all.

If you are a green host on a red IP, your request is slower but still works.

If you are a green host with a red subsection, the request is slower
but still works.

I gather though (since this involves network-fu) that this isn't the
sort of technology you can just drop a linux box into the network to
implement.

But it would seem to at least mitigate some of the computation costs
to implement the filtering.

Of course, this says nothing whatsoever about the accuracy of the
filtering, just that your inaccurate blocking can be implemented with
a lower computational cost.

Adam K