It would be helpful to know more about what's causing the problems
with the distros you've tried. Is it a runaway processing chewing CPU?
Is it the browser itself chewing CPU? How is the RAM situation - is it
full (and consequently spending a lot of time swapping)? If it is -
how much is free before you start Firefox? How much is Firefox using?

A tool like sar will help a lot with this kind of analysis - but just
keeping a window open running "top" can give you a good idea as well.