On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:28 AM, Jeff Waugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is it Firefox or X chugging on the CPU (check top)?

Ahh, It's Xorg. and in the case of Opera, the problem doesn't seem to
be occurring in 8.10 - although I don't think it has Flash setup...

> What kind of video card
> and driver are you using?

Intel 88245G intergrated - with the default driver.
Originally it ran with desktop effects on, which I disabled. After
upgrading to 8.10 I am no longer able to re-enable them.

>Firefox should be fine on a slowish machine with
> lots of RAM (512MB is fine).

Xorg is at about 90M with only another 30 odd to other stuff.

Firefrox
Load yahoo.com.au: Firefox = ~150M and Xorg is ~130
Firefox @ 40% CPU, Xorg at about 60% - the weird thing is they stay at
roughly these levels, even though I'm not scrolling pages etc.

Opera
Load yahoo.com.au: Opera = ~30M, Xorg = ~95
Opera @40% when active, 5% when idle. Xorg at 5-20%. As mentioned
flash isn't installed.

Maybe I should try swiftfox, or just get flash working on Opera?