On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 08:02:07AM +1100, Chris Allen wrote:
> For me, this is a new although I gather it has been around for a few years.
>
> I recently upgraded Ubuntu 6.06 to 8.04.
> Before the upgrade I kept getting messages that there was not enough space
> (much to my surprise).  I deleted old junk and did the upgrade.
>
> NOW, I see the ALL my data is on just one partition of only 4GB.  There
> are are 2 more (unused and empty) partitions of 4 and 57 GB that I would
> like to use.
>
> As I read up on the best way to bring them on board, I stumbled on the
> "new" concept of Logical Volume Management.  Sounds very interesting.
> However every thing I have read about using it, assumes you are start
> with a fresh install.  I have seen nothing about "converting" a current
> system to LVM.
>
> Can any one offer some advise or recommend good reading material?

The redhat admin guides are pretty good
You could also try http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/index.html but
that looks a little out of date to me.

I can give you a quick overview:

A volume group is made of one or more physical volumes.
A volume group can be divided up into logical volumes.
You create filesystems on these logical volumes.

So:

    pvcreate /dev/<the-partition-or-disk>
    vgcreate <some-volume-group> /dev/<the-partition-or-disk>
    lvcreate --size 10g  <some-volume-group>
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/<some-volume-group>/<some-logical-volume>

then add that to /etc/fstab as well.

    Use lvdisplay and vgdisplay to show the config.