Kyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> As ever,
> ask SLUG and you end up with 5 different ways of doing it.    :-)
> Thanks all. I should be able to get at least one of those working.
>
> Daniel,
>
> most common problem I come across doing it the remote X11 way is no display
> setup. And never sure which particular variable it is that the relevant
> appl. wants.

Well, the particular variable is 'DISPLAY', which tells the X11
applications which display server to talk to.

ssh X forwarding /should/ set that up for you automatically, including
authentication, so that says that something went wrong at that stage.

However...

> Aside from that however, the wish to run the 'desktop' (a.k.a Window
> Manager - I guess) is so I can leave programs running, log in and
> check on their progress.

...for that, you need something other than X forwarding -- X11 has no
native display disconnection or relocation capabilities, so you would be
starting a new session and then shutting it down each time.

If you intend to do a significant amount of work remotely, especially
over high latency links, then I recommend NX, which others have also
mentioned.  The performance is significantly better than VNC.

Regards,
        Daniel