First of all, you need to make a byte-to-byte backup of your external hard disk.
A single 'dd' command will achieve that.

Then, if you can remember the original partition scheme, try to manually restore it. Hopefully most data can be found with minor inconstancies.

BTW There was a thread on 'Recovering data from failed hard drive' around 1 December 2008, and it may be useful to you.

Wishes,
Quan