On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 13:59 +1100, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Actually, temperature has very little relationship with disk life, at
> least when Google studied their consumer grade disk failure metrics.
>
> The details: http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf
>
> Regards,
>         Daniel

Thanks for that link Daniel.  An interesting paper.  However, I don't
know that I'd compare a server farm environment to home PCs.  My gut
feeling from the tens of hard drive failures I've worked on is that
close-stacking drives is a bad thing.  Maybe because through-ventilation
in big home boxes is not as thorough as in rack box servers.

Another bad thing is what happened to me a couple of days ago when the
power supply variable speed fan went to low speed (not stopped) and I
smelled the PC getting hot.  I removed a little control circuit board
from inside the unit and the fan now runs at full speed permanently.
Fortunately nothing died (so far).

Cheers,

Kevin.