2009/1/14 Daniel Pittman <dan...@rimspace.net>:
> Ben <shadr...@gmail.com> writes:
>> I've seen hard drives that heated up so much they started fires (these
>> were faulty of course, but if they were a bit cooler, there might not
>> have been a problem).
>
> Um, I give: if your disk is hot enough to start a fire it will probably
> shorten the life of the component, yes. ;)
>
> What were the circumstances, if you can relate them?  I am curious.

Customer's machine. Hard drive was a vertical mount job inside
normal-ish case. An internal cable lent against something (I assume
the controller chip), and the place got smoked out. Seatools gave 240
as the reading for the max temp on the drive. I have no idea how
accurate this is, but it's the higher I've every seen, typical maximum
for out of range drives is 140.