david wrote:

Grant Parnell wrote:
Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
Grant Parnell wrote:

Well I didn't find where to look at the logs but I did find out some very useful things.

1) After you setup with network manager you can just manually run wvdial from a terminal and it works and you get to see everything I was talking about.

2) It *IS* possible to insert the SIM into the device incorrectly. This results in every attempt to DIAL returning "ERROR" in a terminal program such as minicom using device /dev/ttyUSB0 for example. IE ATDT*99# = ERROR.

3) The Windows software gives you more explanation of ERROR - in our case something to the effect of "Error reading USIM card". Oh yeah an to spite claims to the contrary, the one we got we had to use the Install CDROM. This is because Windows XP wouldn't see the emulated CDROM - Ubuntu does but then the software on it's useless ;-)

4) Even before the software has been told to connect you see blue LED flashes indicating network availability (Windows & Linux), ONLY when the SIM is inserted correctly.

Does that mean you got the E180 working?

Erik
... And there's the videos of just how easy it is to setup!
http://www2.muli.com.au/Videos/

That's great.. just a shame that my E160G doesn't work :(
Does it make a difference that it's pre-paid? I read somewhere that it does. Does it make a difference that it was set up originally on OS X? (on which it worked perfectly)

When I plug in and select it in the networkmanager drop down menu, it asks for a password (what is that??).

The configuration tool has the following settings:

number: *99#
username: a
password: a
APN: 3netaccess
network: <blank>
PIN: <blank>
PUK: <blank>

If anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

thanks

David.

Oh the password thing is for sudo so it can run with root privileges, it's just the password you use to login to your desktop session.

It says in the little quick start guide thingy that if you're on pre-paid you have to Ring Three and get them to activate your service. It also says to change the APN to 3services. This can be done from Network Manager by right clicking and going into the setup or just editing /etc/wvdial.conf directly (not sure if NM will overwrite).

How's things?.. long time no see.

--
Grant Parnell | Muli Management Pty Ltd | T: 02 9487 3241 | 124 Fox Valley Rd Wahroonga NSW 2076 |