Peter Miller wrote:
On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 23:59 +1100, david wrote:
That's great.. just a shame that my E160G doesn't work :(

mine does

Mine does when it's in the mood......

number: *99#
username: a

leave it blank

doesn't seem to make a difference - i've tried blank, presently it has "a" and it connects.

password: a

your account PIN

Seems like you can put anything there. At the moment mine says "blah" and it
works.

APN: 3netaccess

3services

Correct

network: <blank>
PIN: <blank>

your account PIN

PUK: <blank>

I think I might just be in a flaky area... Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't. It looked like a config problem but I've come to the conclusion it's the phase of the moon and strength of the wind.

I thought it only worked reliably if I reboot but now I realise that's not relevant. That's how superstitions come about... looks like cause and effect but it isn't ;-)

I've also noticed that I get better results if I disable wireless, regardless of whether I have a wireless connection or not. Again, I'm not sure if this is superstition or genuine cause-and-effect!

Sometimes if I unplug the stick and replug it I get success, but not always. I haven't worked out a pattern (although each time I make sure that dmesg reports disconnect before re-inserting the stick).

For the record... the nearly-always-working config is below:

connect automatically checked (but it doesn't always)
system setting not checked (what does this do?)
number: *99# (no idea what this is... does anyone know?)
username: a  (meaningless??)
password: blah (definitely meaningless gibberish but can't enter "blank")
APN: 3services
network: blank
PIN: blank
PUK: blank

The service was activated online on my wife's OS X, so I don't know about activation. Is this relevant? I wouldn't have thought so, but who knows?

By the way, Grant.. I still don't understand that password thing I asked about. It doesn't ask for it anymore and I have no idea what I did to stop it, but whatever I typed was inserted into the password field in the config above. I think network-manager is black magic. Still haven't worked out where network-manager keeps it's data, but it would be nice to know.

http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/ has no docs at all. I'm sure they are somewhere but it looks suspiciously like "trust us - we know what we are doing". Now who does that remind you of? Anyway, I wrote this email mainly in case someone is searching and has similar problems to me. The good news is that it mostly works, and a reboot seems to always solve any failure.

David.