> Yes, it's Solaris 10. I was under the impression that Virtualbox was
> focused more on desktop virtualisation and is less geared for servers.
> Is that incorrect?

They are feeling the lure of data center virtualisation. However Virtualbox

is probably not mature enough for system critical applications.

>> Xen is pretty powerful, but there is still a lack of good, solid
> management
>> tools that cover HA, iSCSI integration, replication, migration etc etc.
>
> A lack of good management tools is what concerns me. I want to get
> productive quickly and not have to spend unnecessary time setting up
> and managing. I don't need zillions of features, but I do want
> something that's solid and easy to use.

Xen is snapping at VMwares heels, however if you want basics and
simplicity,
why are you resisting the free VMware server. Granted  you cant get at all
the source code. And i understand the moral high ground. However, from a
solution
point of view it is free, its the leader of the pack and unless you are
in dire need to hack the source of the virtualisation suite xen vs vmware
free
is largely the same. VMware tools is now FOSS software, and vmware provides
API's for its server component which will allow tight integration. Also its
guest machines can easily be transported from servers to desktops etc.

Im all about open source, and not settling for 'close enough'. But in terms
of my 9-5 often times slipping of my moral high ground just a little, goes
long way to keeping my natural hair color :)

Dean