On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 01:09:47PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Sridhar Dhanapalan">
>
> > It still looks like having proper network bridging (so the VMs are
> > directly on the network just like any other host) is a pain in the bum.
> > The solutions I've seen involve performing some arcane rituals with brctl
> > and co.
>
> Bridging is brain-meltingly simple on Debian-based systems. Quick example of
> /etc/network/interfaces with a single bridge set up:
>
>   auto br0
>   iface br0 inet static
>     address 192.168.10.200
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     gateway 192.168.10.1
>     bridge_ports eth0 eth1 eth2
>
>     ^ Only *ONE* extra line to say "sudo make me a bridge", xkcd-style ;-)

this is mine for virtualbox on debian
auto brVB
allow-hotplug brVB
# All the vbox interfaces will attach to this interface
iface brVB inet static
        bridge_ports none
        address 192.168.1.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0

I then just use routing

> (There are additional parameters you can add if you want to, but they're all
> optional.)
>
> - Jeff
>
> --
> linux.conf.au 2010: Wellington, NZ       http://www.penguinsvisiting.org.nz/
>
>     "The postmodern version is: If all you have is duct tape, everything
>    starts to look like a duct. Right. When's the last time you used duct
>                        tape on a duct?" - Larry Wall
> --

"And I am an optimistic person. I guess if you want to try to find something to
be pessimistic about, you can find it, no matter how hard you look, you know?"

        - George W. Bush
06/15/2004
Washington, DC