with VirtualBox 2.1.4 you don't have to setup any bridging, at least not to
be on the same LAN (ie, my VirtualBox machine is on the same subnet as my
the physical machine)

basically you just say use eth0 (or whatever) in the Virtual Machine config,
and it doesn't setup any bridge interfaces

very very easy