Uggh, I missed that bit in Malcolm's post.

Yes, If you are using a 2.4 kernel you definitely should be
considering an upgrade. There is a lot of magic in the newer 2.6.x
kernel and associated system tools that are going to make your life
easier in this regard.

Also not really wanting to start a distro war (and I cut my teeth on
SLS and then Slackware 1.0 back around 1992/93), but you might want to
choose something other Slackware if you are an inexperienced user.
<http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity> really puts
Slackware as being outside the mainstream. You are much more likely to
get useful support if choose from the top 10 in that list. (And yes,
the street cred that in particular Gentoo seems to have, but I still
would consider that as non mainstream). Of course there are other
criteria than popularity for choosing a distro, but it should be a
major consideration for novices).

Regards, Martin

martinvisse...@gmail.com