On Sunday 19 April 2009 00:16:35 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
> I've decided to increase the RAM on my home CentOS server. As best I can
> recall, the accepted wisdom is to have SWAP approx.~ 2 x RAM. Or was
> that approx.~ 50% of RAM?
>
> Can someone point me in the direction of an explicit tutorial on how I
> might go about increasing SWAP without destroying data on my other
> partitions please?
>
> Or if I'm actually upping the RAM, should I just not worry about it?
>
> Info I'm guessing would be relevant;

Of course this is cockamany, urban myth, etc and typically you increase RAM
and need even less swap than before
for eg (my desktop)
Mem:   4036296k total,  4014656k used,    21640k free,    96400k buffers
Swap:  1004020k total,       32k used

EXCEPT for 1 tragic circumstance: Never *suspend* unless you have as much SWAP
as RAM. Suspend writes all RAM starting at the beginning of swap and over
everything along the way. (and I activated suspend by dropping an earring on
the keyboard :-)

So if your use scenario has never used all your swap, add RAM and forget about
adding swap otherwise do the math

James