Quoting Ben Donohue <donoh...@icafe.com.au>:

> Hi Ken,
>
> after you set the raid setting, don't you have to then configure a
> logical drive?
>
> what sort of machine is it? server? HP?
>
> also usually when you set it to raid it does not matter what the SCSI
> drive ID is as the raid controller handles this. however i'm not sure
> of this on all hardware.
>
> what happens if you only have one drive in and test? then two and
> test?   etc. is each drive recognized on  it's own?  see if you can record
> the scsi id of each.

The box is a blade server, Xeon Intel board.   In the Raid setting the
drives are still recognised independently in Linux so it is not a true
raid set up.  I know that old DOS machines can only cope with 4 drives,
so I figure it is some sort of compatability mode.    Machine is a 64
bit so it could be that I have to use 64 bit install to get it to boot
but I want 32 bit for the XFS recovery,  there is a journalling issue
acording to what I have read.  Ubuntu automatically put a small /boot so
it is not that problem, although that should not matter for a new bios.

I don't need an answer, so much as want an answer so I don't struggle
with this later.

The machine is working 'good enough' and is currently dumping the XFS
file system down using dd_rescue.    I am not holding out hope that the
XFS recovery is going to work, 348 gig out of 3.3 terabytes,  1100
errors already.

Ta
Ken