2009/5/15 <fos...@tpg.com.au>
> The distinction between desktop and server in ubuntu is an install
> option not anything else.  To add lvm to your existing system just
> 'apt-get install lvm2'.
>
> To convert an existing setup to lvm you have to have some free space
> (partitions or whole harddisks to use).

That's probably the way to convert an existing system to LVM.

If you want to install Ubuntu with LVM straight away then it's a bit
more tricky since the LVM package is not included in the installation
CD so you have to:

1. Boot live cd.
2. open shell
3. "apt-get install lvm2"
4. insmod dm_mod
5. create PV, VG, LV's. Remember that you need to keep /boot on a
regular partition since grub can't read LVM.

(I can't remember off the top of my head now whether the GUI installer
will support creation of LV's once it finds PV's and VG's. In any case
it will be able to recognize the LV's and allow creation of
filesystem/swap partitions on top of them).

6. install system from live to hard disk
7. "mount -bind ..." special filesystems (proc, sys, dev) under the
hard-disk mount point
8. mount /boot under the right mount point on hard disk

(the above two steps are required because the lvm package install
kernel modules and run initramfs)

9. chroot to the hard disk partition
10. "apt-get install lvm2" again on the hard disk.

That's more or less it.

--Amos