Quoting Daniel Bush <dlb.id...@gmail.com>:

> 2009/5/15 <fos...@tpg.com.au>

> > - LVM is really cool and well worth the time to rad up on it.   I
> > am now going to LVM my home system.
> >

> I'm planning to do this as well.
> I was thinking back to Mary's backup post last year and thinking if I
> could do lvm snapshots with an external harddrive.  Still a bit new to lvm
> though.
> I think you have to install the alternate ubuntu cd to get lvm
> right?
> (unless you are using the server install instead of the desktop).

The distinction between desktop and server in ubuntu is an install
option not anything else.  To add lvm to your existing system just
'apt-get install lvm2'.

To convert an existing setup to lvm you have to have some free space
(partitions or whole harddisks to use).

First create a volume group (chunk of hardisk spread across one or more
harddrives)

sudo lvm
pvdiskscan
pvcreate /dev/yourpartions
vgcreate vg1  /dev/part1  /dev/part2

create a logical volume somewhere in that volume group  (say 300 gig
named yourname in vg1)

lvcreate -L300G -n yourname  vg1

You can then mksfs.ext3 /dev/vg1/yourname  (replace ext3 with whatever
is appropriate) and then mount it.

Snapshots I cannot vouch for snapshots.  There is something different
lvm1 and lvm2 for snapshots and they cannot be used V1 to V2,  since I
am not using them I have not done any further reading.

I think gparted can be used to manage LVM after it is set up.   I cannot
verify this though.  You can add hard drives from the VG once you have
created it.

Ta
Ken