On Sat, May 16, 2009, Grahame Kelly wrote:

> Rather than stating what I suspect is just a "belief", have you look
> at the Kernel source code at all? If so I would be very interested at
> exactly where you state such activity happens.
> According to Linux Internals Doco (and hereijn I refer to the Linux
> Drivers themselves) Once the device has been "un-mounted" the OS
> warrants that the device, its linked control blocks, buffers etc.
> are indeed-flushed and data secured on the device medium.  The
> applicable driver HAVE already unloaded any cache data before the
> umount command returns with its resultant response.

And I assume that you 100% believe that when the drive says "YES SIR
I HAVE SYNCED" it has actually done this? :)

> I have never experienced this in all the years working with Linux.
> Either you haven't un-mounted the device correctly (that is checked
> the return status byte if in a script), or the OS release you refer to
> is/was buggy,

Or you've been lucky!

> >FWIW, SATA devices are hot-swap and the are ... a little less than 8mm
> >of coverage for those connections.  Just sayin'
>
> SATA I, II and forthcoming III specifications originally covered hot-
> swapping. So it would be expected at the hardware level.

Its optional. And it is not always implemented correctly.

I have some notes somewhere from some previous experiments with various
desktop-y SATA chipsets under FreeBSD/Linux and I found that they didn't all
do hotswap as advertised. ;)

Adrian