Daniel Pittman wrote:
david <da...@kenpro.com.au> writes:
Daniel Pittman wrote:
david <da...@kenpro.com.au> writes:
Daniel Pittman wrote:
david <da...@kenpro.com.au> writes:

[...]

Chip            Driver          NCQ     DMA++   hotplug         PMP
ICH7 family     ata_piix, ahci  AHCI    AHCI    AHCI            no

Since I still don't want to fry the drive, the question still remains
(for me at least, given that I'm not as erudite as some).... Will this
hotplug??
Yes, if you are running it in AHCI mode.  Specifically, you have to be
in something other than "compatibility mode" in the BIOS, and it has to
identify as an AHCI controller during boot.

[...]

Nothing in dmesg. As far as I can see, nothing in BIOS :(

That sucks.  Sadly, it was the fashion for vendors to offer only the
compatibility mode of operation for a while.

You could try "lsmod | egrep 'ahci|piix'" and see what the output is.
If both are present, and both are in active use life is harder, but just
one present would be a start.

da...@david:~$ lsmod | egrep -i "ahci|piix"
ata_piix               24580  4
libata                177312  3 pata_acpi,ata_generic,ata_piix

I found this:
http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html
<quote>
2. Hardware support
Intel ICH "IDE" mode
Driver name: ata_piix

Update: ICH6/7/8 include support for addressing the SATA PHY registers. This is not yet supported in Linux, mainly because some BIOS do not fill in the necessary (PCI BAR) resources.

Update: Boot-time, probe-time issues continue to persist in some cases, related to the "PCS" register. The ata_piix driver in 2.6.18 and later provides a "force_pcs" module option to help users deal with this (values: 0=default, 1=ignore PCS, 2=honor PCS). Play around with 'force_pcs' if you have device detection problems.
</quote>

I wonder what "warmplug" means?

This seems to suggest that hot swapping this particular configuration
is a bad idea. And yet Gnome was telling me that I could remove the
media. Is this a bug?

Well, I have no idea, I fear.

Unfortunately, hardware specifications tend to tell you what a
BIOS/Controller/MB *has*, not what it doesn't have.

*nod*  Also, the "operating mode" is probably not going to be listed, so
even "ICH7 SATA" doesn't tell you everything you need to know.

[...]

Not being able to hot-swap for me is mostly an inconvenience rather
than a disaster, but I recently had an emergency situations where I
would REALLY liked to have been able to hot swap.

*nod*  Well, you /could/ test it: drop to single user mode, remount
critical filesystems read-only, sync, and pull the device.

Then look for error messages. ;)

Regards,
        Daniel