I have actually used Unison to keep two windows servers in sync over ssh
with plink from putty and Winsshd, pretty nifty little app, but for one way
sync the Rsync for windows is the way to go

FTP can be done as well with a script, but it is messy, and not-secure FTP
is all in plain text and I wouldn't trust it for backups of any kind. You
could script an SFTP upload, but that will be file level so not as
effiecient as rsyncs bitlevel.

The issue you may also run into is open file locks. Windows locks files that
are open so you won't be able to back them up, unless the program is VSS
aware, like ntbackup, Bacula or some other app (if you want to script it,
hobocopy is vss aware).