That's fairly common on many motherboards, not just laptops. If you can get external power to the HDD, that may help

Pete

David Gillies wrote:
Ken Foskey wrote:
I bought a huge backup drive and went to plug it in today and it kept
mounting and unmounting it spawning windows along the way.

Strange thing is I plugged the same drive into the rear of the computer
and it now works correctly.  Is it possible that they are two different
types of USB port?
Sounds like the first port you plugged it into might not have enough power to run the usb hdd? I know some Apple notebooks (just off the top of my head) have slightly different power ratings for different usb ports on the same machine.