An attempt at repost because I can't seem to be able to get a message through.

Kyle wrote:
Hi Sluggers,

I have a prob I hope you can help with pls. And I realise it might be a little outside a general Linux question. But if you have knowledge or are able to point me to the best forum/newsgroup/whatever, I would be grateful.

I have a situation where htpasswd access is being used to authenticate user access to a particular URL by apache.

Once authenticated, apache processes the relevant URL which is actually a pass-off to Tomcat. What I need to do is get hold of the now-authenticated user-name (i.e. the user name apache has just allowed through) and be able to attach that username to the POST now being sent to Tomcat.

Whether attached to the URL or sent as part of the HTTP headers makes no difference. I just need the receiving Tomcat servlet to be able to get hold of it for logging purposes.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Kyle