On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Robert Collins
<robe...@robertcollins.net>wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-08-18 at 18:38 +1000, Amos Shapira wrote:
> > 2009/8/18 Tony Sceats <tony.sce...@gmail.com>:
> > > what you're trying to do is usually referred to as a transparent
> reverse
> > > proxy.. you should be able to find heaps of info on this
> >
> > What's "transparent" about it? It's just "reverse proxy" as far as I
> know.
>
> Its not transparent at all - transparent involves handling
> non-proxy-ready http requests as well as TCP hijacking :)

but, um, don't you want you're "non-proxy-ready http requests" to get
through your reverse proxy and onto your internal web server as well?!

it would seem a bit silly otherwise, but that could just be me

And I wouldn't call this functionality anything close to TCP hijacking -
it's just TCP redirection, there's no hijacking any where in sight..
hijacking, as I would call it, is either taking over or inserting data into
an established TCP session, which is much more difficult than redirecting,
eg, outbound connections on port 80 to a local IP port 3128