Grant> Armin Marth wrote:
>> Hello SLUGers, I work on the help desk for a medical software
>> company, and have recently been given a disclosure and
>> confidentiality agreement to sign. I have been keeping a keen eye
>> on open source software for medical professionals and would like to
>> eventually contribute to them.
>>
>> The point I'd like to clarify is clause 2. "The Employee shall
>> acknowledge all inventions, discoveries and designs and all
>> writings, art-work, drawings, designs, computer programs (copyright
>> works) created during the course of your employment with the
>> Employer, belongs to the Employer."
>>
>> See a copy at http://www.arminmarth.info/disclosure.pdf
>>
>> Would this stop me from contributing to open source software if
>> it's in the same field as I currently work in?
>>
>> I've been asked to sign this by Monday or I will not be able to
>> work on any health care related products, i.e. they'll force me to
>> take leave.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.  Armin.

Grant> +1 for get legal advice.

And another +1.  I'd check with the employer as to what that's
meant to cover, too.    Various of my present and past employers have
had a similar clause in my contract, but have been happy for me to
contribute to open source projects providing that:
 -- they're acknowledged, and
 -- you're not giving away their crown jewels (i.e., their own
    proprietary IP.  And that you're not disclosing anything that could be
    patentable, or that is trade secret)
 -- and that you're not using the employer's time and equipment for
    unauthorised purposes.  Which means getting authorisation first!

Peter C