On 03/09/09 16:09, Martin Visser wrote:
Jake,

Most of thenumbers you are showing are just the clocked speeds on busses and
cables.
actually no they are benchmarked sustained and average transfer rates for the devices.
sata "2" line speed is 3gbit, with overhead it will saturate at 250mbyte/sec
the hdd's min transfer rate is 60mbyte/sec and max is 160.

  Certainly the components can clock at those speeds, but the biggest
issue with lower-end components is whether they can actually feed and
sustain data at that rate, and how well they handle contention for
resources. Generally this comes down to size of buffers, and whether have
fast or wide enough processors at those interface points.
They aren't really "lower end components"
There is little difference in performance between SATA and SAS these days.
PCI/PCI-X will sustain those transfer rates by design, the cards themselves are being little more than a slightly bent pipe so there should be no real bottleneck there.

But it sounds like for the business Backblaze is in they are building
something that is big rather than fast (or at least something that is fast
enough). And certainly if you can parallelize the system enough (and
maintain reliablity) then you probably even achieve cheap and fast.
Their biggest issue would be seek times.
Regards, Martin

martinvisse...@gmail.com