>>>>> "Jake" == Jake Anderson <ya...@vapourforge.com> writes:

Jake> On 03/09/09 16:09, Martin Visser wrote:
>> Jake,
>>
>> Most of thenumbers you are showing are just the clocked speeds on
>> busses and cables.
Jake> actually no they are benchmarked sustained and average transfer
Jake> rates for the devices.  sata "2" line speed is 3gbit, with
Jake> overhead it will saturate at 250mbyte/sec the hdd's min transfer
Jake> rate is 60mbyte/sec and max is 160.

>> Certainly the components can clock at those speeds, but the biggest
>> issue with lower-end components is whether they can actually feed
>> and sustain data at that rate, and how well they handle contention
>> for resources. Generally this comes down to size of buffers, and
>> whether have fast or wide enough processors at those interface
>> points.

Jake> They aren't really "lower end components" There is little
Jake> difference in performance between SATA and SAS these days.
Jake> PCI/PCI-X will sustain those transfer rates by design, the cards
Jake> themselves are being little more than a slightly bent pipe so
Jake> there should be no real bottleneck there.

We've seen some problems with some SATA port multipliere, that don't
allow more than one drive at a time to be working --- effectively
slowing the transfer rate to that of a single spindle.  I don't know
if the ones these people are using have that problem.

--
Dr Peter Chubb  http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au  peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au           ERTOS within National ICT Australia