IMHO something like this is best done by hiring professionals, as some
random person may or may not have the experience and skills they may or may
not suggest, giving you a false sense of security in their findings.

Anyway, having said that, having a poke around yourself is always fun and
interesting and can also mean you can evaluate the results from an external
audit yourself.

It looks like you've run an nmap over your external IP address, which is a
good enough start, however you might also be interested in running a nessus
scan.

http://www.nessus.org/download/

You should be careful though as some attacks this generates can crash your
services, so don't run it at popular user times. Generally though, these
should be referred to as 'Active scan' whilst a 'Passive scan' won't try to
inject code etc, but enumerates services versions etc and can point you to
information on known vulnerabilities. It's been a very long time since I've
played with this, but it used to be very much user contributed scan codes so
you couldn't trust a passive scan was not going to do something nasty, this
may have changed. Anyway this is really recommended to try, although it
looks commercialized since I used it, but it looks like you can still
download and try it.

Also, if you are not using PPTP and port 20,000 turn them off. PPTP may have
a weakness that will put an attacker on your network, by passing some
firewall rules. PPTP is generally not considered secure anymore anyway,
although I don't have any details at hand, and again, my info is all very
old.

A quick google for port 20,000 show up a possibility that this is Usermin,
some derivative of Webmin, and if so you should really block access to
this.

I should say this again - if you are not using these extra services turn
them off! It will not look good if some pen tester breaks in here and is
then able to say the setup is insecure, despite this having no relation to
Moodle itself. The department wont want to understand this difference and
any attempts to justify that this is not necessarily insecure but is related
to your network security, not your application security will fall on deaf
ears since they have a report with a lot of jargon and the words insecure on
it, especially if the whole thing is politically charged as you say it is.

Anyway, that's my 2c, good luck!