No guarantees, as I'd have to think about it a bit more, but....

I would think you might want to add '-m state --state NEW' to the first rule otherwise the 2nd rule is irrelevant.

The 2nd rule will presently allow ALL established connections from anywhere that managed to get in to the machine (from other interfaces as well)

If you want B to talk to A ONLY, add a  '-o ethX' to the 3rd rule.

Then you also need a 'iptables -A INPUT -j DROP' (depending line above, add a '-i ethX' to this)

I think...

Kind Regards

Kyle

Rick Phillips wrote:
I am not very good at IPTables and was seeking opinions as to whether
this formula would work to fully block a connection from computer A to B
but allow ssh and web only from B to A.  The tables would reside on A.

iptables -A INPUT -m multiport -p tcp --dport www,ssh -i ethX -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -o ethX -j DROP

The network is off site and quite a distance away with no external admin
so I would like to have it "right" before I visit.

Thanks in advance.

Rick