On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 10:19:29AM +0800, jam wrote:

James,

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate your input.

> Rather than 'saying you oughta ...' this is what I'd do and why ...
>
> a) I'd run back and front end of different machines

I'd thought of doing that, but because the TV and aerial cable are in
the same room, I'd still have to make this machine both fron and back
end, so I don't see any great benefit in having a remote back end.

> I do not do commercial flagging as each of the channels does there to
> thing to break it (eg 10 turns off the logo BEFORE and on AFTER  the ad
> breaks. 7 skips blank frame pre and post amble etc).

Well, they don't want you skipping ads so they'll do whatever they can
to make it hard for you.  I'm happy just to record the programs and skip
the ads manually during playback.  That's what we do now with the
(analogue) hard disc recorder.

> Wireless networking does work, but wired is much better here.

Same here.  Wireless is OK for the laptops, but I've found it to be not
reliable enough for the Squeezebox, so now it's on the wired LAN.  The
MthTV box will be in the same cabinet, so I'll hook it up to the wired
LAN too (I already have a second ethernet cable back to the switch).

Thanks,

John
--
"There is no chance of a fuel explosion because the butane is not stored in a
conventional tank. Instead, the fuel is confined to the porous marrow of the