On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 11:29:14AM +0800, jam wrote:
> On Monday 16 November 2009 09:00:05 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
> > > a) I'd run back and front end of different machines
> >
> > I'd thought of doing that, but because the TV and aerial cable are in
> > the same room, I'd still have to make this machine both fron and back
> > end, so I don't see any great benefit in having a remote back end.
>
> Except that you don't want to power up your machine every time you want to
> check ABC's Finance is set to record weekly, your daughter phones and asks
> you
> to record friends or you just want to check that motoGP has higher priority
> than conflicts and IMHO the EPG is adequate and tracks their sometimes
> quickly
> changing schedules EG
> myth scheduled to record FavoriteProgram on 7 at 19:30. Seven reschedules for
> 19:32
> myth wakes up at 19:29 finds Not scheduled for 19:30 and goes to sleep and
> does not record at 19:32 !!

OK, fair point, I hadn't thought of it that way.  I think I'll still get
this going as a combined back & front end to start with, and I can
always split it apart later, or more likely, get a new low power front
end going and move this box downstairs.

Thanks,

John
--
> Okay, you must really hate QIC drives.  :-)
Not nearly as much as the TK50 and its spawn.
            -- Rik Steenwinkel