Hi All,

I've googled this one for a while and can't find any examples of people doing
*system* file sync with rsync.  So I thought I'd throw it out to the collective
wisdom of SLUG.  Here's the full story.

We have a SuSE-based production application/DB server pair and a corresponding
pair in a disaster recovery location (offsite, bandwidth consumption needs to
be minimised).  We need to sync a number of files between these servers and
some require elevated (root) privileges at *both* ends.  Here lies the problem;
we don't allow remote root logins (via SSH or any other method either...sudo,
console or nadda).

I want to use rsync because of it's ability to transfer
differential/incremental changes and thus bandwidth friendly, however any other
tool would be fine too.  However, due to the inability for root to login
directly, how the heck do I synchronise particular files in privileged
locations (like /etc/shadow)?  I can start whatever services I need at either
end (like an rsync server) but the main thing is all files maintain the same
owner/group/mode at each end.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

James