On 12/02/2010, at 5:35 PM, james wrote:

> On Friday 12 February 2010 13:23:18 slug-requ...@slug.org.au wrote:
>>> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 10:24 +1100, James Gray wrote:
>>
>> need to sync a number of files between these servers and some require
>> elevated (root) privileges at both ends.  Here lies the problem; we
>> don't allow remote root logins (via SSH or any other method
>> either...sudo, console or nadda).
>>
>>> I have done this using sudo.  I write a script on the called machine,
>>> sign on as my user and run the script using sudo which I authorise (very
>>> specifically) to root without password.
>>
>> He says that he can't use sudo.
>>
>> However Google'ing for "offline rsync" reminded me of rdiff - here is
>> a use case which sounds similar to yours:
>> http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~ttsiod/Offline-rsync.html
>
> So you want root privilege without using any of the standard root-privilege-
> mechanisms
> Wow, he said scathingly, that deserves a prize.

Something was lost between my brain and the keyboard.  What I was trying
(unsuccessfully) to indicate was sudo is fine, as are direct root logins on the
console.  Heck "su -" is cool too if you have the root password.  We just can't
allow direct root logins via network services (ssh etc)

Sorry for the confusion.  I'll endeavour to imbibe a second (or third) coffee
before attempting e-mail on Monday! Heheh - it's been a loooong week ;)

Cheers,

James