lol, yes, that's the bit I missed :)

I guess ultimately you either have to relax the permissions on the files
(eg, add a new backup group, chrgrp and chmod the files), or relax the
system access restrictions (eg, using sudo, as already suggested by Ken)

I wonder which would have larger implications.. I would expect setting up
extremely limited sudo commands allows more flexibility in the sorts of
things you can do as well as not being a pita to keep stable over upgrades
and installations