Tony Sceats <tony.sce...@gmail.com> writes:

>> Slower, though ... is a bit of a strange claim.  Not because it is false,
>> but because the answer is complex: you can, for example, double read speed
>> and halve write speed, using a two disk RAID 1 array ... in the ideal case.
>
> I must say I'm curious about this, because I have always assumed that for a
> RAID 1 the write speed would be roughly the same as a single disk, not
> halved..

Sorry, you are quite right.  It should write at approximately the speed of a
single disk, and read at twice the speed.  More or less.  I shouldn't post
while I have a cold, because it makes my thinking bits not working.

[...]

> If this is true, I guess the reason would be that the same data travels over
> the same bus twice before the operation can be said to be completed,
> therefore halving your write speed.

This is the only point it actually cuts speed below a single disk, and that
takes more than two disks even on some of the less good modern systems.

Sorry.
      Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707