----- "Brett Coady" <bc196...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> These read-times were all done with: hdparm -tT /dev/(device)
> Anyone know a good non destructive write test for benchmarking HDD ?
>
> Hope this helps
> Brett

Bonnie++ is what we use. You can use IOzone if you like complex charts. hdparm
isn't great for this sort of thing.

Also, back to the one of the other suggestions - don't use RAID5. If you only
have 3 disks, use RAID1 and 1 hotspare. They don't make disks like they used
to, and RAID5 and MTBF stats meant that the chance of having a failure during a
rebuild is too high. RAID5 is dead to me. RAID10 if you have enough disks, or
RAID1 when you don't.
and use LVM. It makes for growing/shrinking/chopping much easier. You can't
shrink XFS. Be careful shrinking ext3.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/08/10/21/2126252.shtml
and don't backup to tape. Buy lots of harddrives, and expect to buy more of
them.

Dave