Michael Chesterton <che...@chesterton.id.au> writes:
> On 19/02/2010, at 1:41 PM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>
>> Try booting the kernel with 'init=/bin/bash' on the command line, and then:
>>
>> ] mount / -o remount,rw
>> ] passwd root  # ...and give it a good password
>> ] mount / -o remount,or
>> ] sync; sync; sync
>> # wait thirty seconds, because paranoia never hurts
>> ] sync; sync; sync; reboot
>>
>> That should get you past the problem, at least as far as the next issue.
>
> i guess that's mount / -o remount,ro

Yup.

> I'm curious about the order of the read-only command, and the syncs. I did
> assume there would be nothing to sync on a read-only file system, but I take
> it sync works below the file system level?

sync instructs the kernel to flush out dirty blocks now; indeed, a read-only
file system generates no dirty blocks, but while you had it mounted read-write
you would have generated them.

Mounting to read-only doesn't necessarily flush all the dirty data, so you
need to manually trigger that.  In theory, one sync should do it; in practice,
this has varied over the years, so the ultra-paranoid version certainly
doesn't hurt. :)

        Daniel
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707