On 22/02/10 12:10, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Heracles">
>
>> NOTE: If it is gpl, why is it not in the Ubuntu repositories?
>
> Because no one has packaged it. Probably because no one loves it. (Web stuff
> is fairly troublesome to package, keep updated and so on -- it ends up being
> easier to do it manually, sadly. Perhaps one day we'll figure this out.)

Not to mention the fact that once it ends up in universe, it virtually
never gets updated until the next Ubuntu release, which is about 6
months too late if that package has a security vulnerability.

Even it were regularly updated upstream in Debian, they only sync in the
beginning stages of the development cycle of each release.

By the time the release comes, the Debian import process has been frozen
so long, the package in question is already a revision or two out of date.

I have seen exceptions to the rule — Firefox 3.5 was regularly updated
in Ubuntu 9.04's universe repository, for instance. But somehow I get
the feeling Joomla is a lot less important (to Ubuntu) than Firefox.