On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 08:14:03AM +1100, jon wrote:
> I don't know if this is the place to raise this, but as a new member I
> can think of two things that might help:

It's good. It's been weighing on my mind too.

> 1. Make it possible to obtain and renew membership online -- or even by
> snailmail -- rather than having to physically attend a meeting (right
> now, for instance, I'm not a member because I don't get into town when
> the meetings are on).

Absolutely. I think membership should be completely automated, online.
No handling of cash, no hand-writing receipts. It's an efficiency
thing, and it's often more convenient to pay money online.

> 2. Take advantage of the increasing interest in Linux on the desktop by
> setting up an Applications SIG and/or focussing on applications at some
> events.

Sure.

My 2c: I think that the first duty of a LUG is to promote use of Linux.
So I'd like to see events for interested non-users, installfests and
other promotional activities.