On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 12:10:38PM +1100, meryl wrote:
> > * New and upgraded applications demonstrated and discussed
> > * Distros compared and evaluated
> > * Using Linux with various peripherals -- scanners, printers,
> > tablets, multiple screens
> > * Bash programming techniques -- but keeping it simple
> > * OpenOffice techniques and macros
> > * GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus techniques
>
> In addition to the above, (a very good list Jon!) I'd also like to see
> basic/beginning Python, basic/beginning Rails/Ruby, & troubleshooting
> problems; i.e. using run levels, wireless setup etc...

So this is a very good list of talks. But who is going to volunteer to
give them?

The problem SLUG has had over the last few years is that we have had a
new influx of "users" rather than the old band of "techies".

The problem as I see it though is that only the "techies" are willing
to actually present.

The SLUG committee I'm sure would take up any of the suggested topics
in a heart beat if anyone was prepared to present them.

So I suppose I would call out to the new crowd of "users" that have
joined SLUG in the last few years. If you want to make SLUG more
relevant for you then you need to actually stand up and become a part
of it.

Things you can do

  * Run for the committee
  * Help the committee run meetings

but most importantly offer to give a talk at slug. Even if it is just
a 10 minute talk on a cool feature you just discovered in Inkscape
last week.

Cheers,
John

--