Holy crap, I think this is one of the most awesome email I have ever received.

4 years late, but packed with goodness. Thank you Nick for forwarding this!

Stunned,
Lindsay

On 21/04/2010, at 23:50, Nick Andrew <n...@nick-andrew.net> wrote:

Sorry for the delay replying :-)

On Fri, 26 May 2006 21:59:29 -0700, Lindsay Holmwood writes:

Although i'm familiar with the past few years of SLUG history, would
some of the old timers care to help me out with the following email?

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Demeo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 27, 2006 4:29 AM
Subject: Club history

I have heard it rumored that one of the first Linux User Groups in
the world was founded in Australia.

I understand that the Sydney Linux User Group (SLUG) was established
in 1993 only 2 years after Linus Torvalds originally created the Linux
operating system.

Would you have any information with regard to whether SLUG was the first LUG? If not the first where in the rankings would you guess it would be placed?
If not would you have an indication of which global LUG's may have
established earlier that SLUG?

The inaugural SLUG meeting (which I attended) was held on Friday 30th July 1993
at Softway in Chippendale. Here's a copy of the announcement email:

In <chrisf.742192...@sour.sw.oz.au> chr...@sour.sw.oz.au (Christopher Fraser) writes:

SLUG (Sydney Linux Users Group) inaugural meeting is to be held on
Friday 30th July at the premises of:

     Softway Pty Ltd
     Level 2
     79 Myrtle St
     Chippendale

The meeting will commence at around 6:15pm, but please try and arrive by 6:00pm. It should be a fairly informal meeting. We're planning on having a few short presentations on recent news/developments, R3000 board project, etc.
If you'd you have any other suggestions or would like to volunteer to
present something, then we'd love to hear from you.

If you have any questions regarding SLUG or the meeting, please contact either
myself or Robert Thomas:

     Robert Thomas (rtho...@sequent.com)
     Christopher Fraser (chr...@sw.oz.au)

I'm just coordinating the meeting, Robert is the one who oragnised SLUG. I will be away until the 19th, so urgent correspondence should be directed to Robert. If you intend attending, then please send me a brief email message
so I can get an idea of numbers.

Thanks,

Christopher Fraser.

How to get to Softway
---------------------

 * If you're walking from Central Railway, head down Broadway and
   turn left at Abercrombie St (it's about a 10 minute walk).

* If you're catching a Broadway/Parramatta Road bus, alight opposite the
   CUB brewery and walk up Abercrombie St.

 * If you're driving, approach either by Cleveland St, or take the
   first left after Abercrombie St from Broadway.

The following map may (or may not) help:

    (to central)

 UTS  |     |            (to regent st)
 _____|     |
_____ | | | | | | | CUB | | Cleveland St --- > | | | Brewery | | | | _____| |____ ... _______| | _______________________________| |__

 Wattle                Abercrombie St. (one way <-- )
___ ____ ... _______ _______________ ____________ __ \ | | | Pub | | | | \ | | | | | | |
      |     |                |   |_________      |  |
      |    <---- Broadway    |   | Softway |     |  |
| | | |_________| | | (to city rd)
      |     |                |   |               |  |
      |     |                |  <---- Myrtle St  |  |
      |     |____ ... ______/    /    Wiley St   |  |
      |                         /
      |      ____ ... _________/                        NOT TO SCALE
      |     |

--
Cheers,
--

Love that ASCII art. This is what people did in the days before Google Maps :-)

SLUG was not the first. The Boise Linux User Group beat us by 3 months,

   http://idahopcug.apcug.org/linuxSIG.html

and they don't say they were the first, just the oldest one in Idaho.

Nick.
--
PGP Key ID = 0x418487E7                      http://www.nick-andrew.net/
PGP Key fingerprint = B3ED 6894 8E49 1770 C24A 67E3 6266 6EB9 4184 87E7