Peter Rundle <pe...@aerodonetix.com.au> writes:

> I did "the right thing" and updated my Linux Mint box with all the latest
> patches (yes I'm a security conscious goody two shoes). But unfortunately in
> my haste (orright laziness) I selected all software Thunderbird had been
> updated to the latest abomination called Shredder which I detest. How can I
> punt this latest version off my box and go back to one which doesn't think
> that it's a good idea to cover most of my screen in some non-shrinkable box
> full of message headers that I don't want to see.

Usually, by downloading the older package and installing it by hand.  Most
distributions make this reasonably practical, more or less.

Depending on the architecture you may also have access to older versions
through whatever command line package management tool Mint uses; many of them
can specify a specific version, and some have access to older versions.

That said, I suggest you learn how to resolve the problem: most distributions
don't support anything but (close to) the most recent releases of Mozilla
products, because upstream are not very helpful if you don't do that, and
because they are so incredibly complex and painful that doing it inside the
distribution is a losing game.

        Daniel

In other words: even if you can temporarily work around it, at some point you
will have to bite the bullet and either move to a less awful mailer, or accept
the latest release.
--
✣ Daniel Pittman            ✉ dan...@rimspace.net            ☎ +61 401 155 707