> That sounds suspiciously like you are either running fully emulated (eg: no
> KVM support) on Slackware, or that you don't have virtio on that platform.
>

> It would be interesting, to me, to know if either of those guesses were true,
> because I have a current need to improve my skills diagnosing KVM performance
> issues and feedback helps with that. :)

I only thought it was that because I could not think what else it
could be. In the next few weeks I hope to have some time to
investigate further, and will let you know.

> Is the backing store for the virtual machine also on the USB disk?  If so it
> would point a finger toward guest I/O performance is the pain point, and the
> introduction of USB would just be making a painful service slower.

In all cases the virtual hard drive was on an (real) external usb
drive (not the same one as the host OS was sometimes on). So I don't
think the guest I/O is the culprit.

Brett.