On 10 January 2011 09:05, Kyle <k...@attitia.com> wrote:
>  Hi Folks,
>
> it appears one of the disks in my s'ware RAID is failing. So I've come to
> SLUG for some consensus and confirmation.
>
> 1. How do I go about rebuilding the RAID with ALL brand new disks (obviously
> no longer the same disks, but now newer spec larger disks) such that I don't
> lose not only the data but don't have to rebuild the whole machine again?

Install the new drives seperatly and make a new array, then copy the
data across. The other option is to take out a disk, put a new one in,
rebuild, rinse and repeat for the rest of the drives and then expand
the array to fit the disks, but this is stressful on the other disks
and increases the chance of having a disk fail during rebuilding.

> 2. I'm better sticking with linux s'ware RAID rather than setting up a
> m'board BIOS supported RAID aren't I?

Pretty much, at least then your motherboad can fail and you can
replace it without having to get the exact model.

> 3. It's been a while since I delved into h'ware etc. So SATA II disks will
> simply plug into, and function correctly, SATA plugs, yes or no? Or are we
> now at a stage where I also have to worry about whether or not the m'board
> will actually support the disks I want to put in?

Should do.