On 10 January 2011 10:42, Kyle <k...@attitia.com> wrote:

>  My goal is to replace ALL the current 500GB disks with all new 1TB disks
> into a new RAID 1 array and yet maintain the entire machine's installation
> and configuration.
>
> I.e. If it were as simple as;
>
> 1. as suggested by Menno - install disks separately; create new RAID 1 with
> appropriate /boot & /
> 2. Copy entire contents of old RAID1 /boot and / to new RAID
> 3. remove old RAID, replace old for new.
> 4. Perhaps some bios fiddling and presto new disks.
>
> that would be nice.
>
> But somewhere in there I've got to transfer the system onto the new RAID.
> Just haven't figured out how yet. Plus any other gotchas I don't yet know
> about.

Look at "pvmove", it should be as simple as that, except maybe an
extra step to get GRUB stuff on the boot sectors of the new disks (you
want grub to be able to boot from both sides of the mirror RAID).

i.e. you'll have to do something like:
1. Configure the new disk array as a new PV, maybe set aside a boot
partition outside the PV if you don't want to depend on grub2's
ability to boot from it.
2. add the PV to the Volume Group (VG) to which the "old" PV belongs to.
3. "pvmove old-pv new-pv"
4. Make sure you can boot and work with the new raid array.
5. IMPORTANT: "pvremove old-pv" - otherwise the system will refuse to
use the VG after you remove the old array.

--Amos